Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Store, contact us or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences and credit card information.
- When you share your content with family and friends using Apple products, send gift certificates and products, or invite others to participate in Apple services or forums, Apple may collect the information you provide about those people — such as their name, mailing address, email address and phone number. Apple will use such information to fulfil your requests, to provide the relevant product or service, or for anti-fraud purposes.
- In certain jurisdictions, we may ask for a government-issued ID in limited circumstances — including when setting up a wireless account and activating your device — for the purpose of extending commercial credit, managing reservations or as required by law.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on Apple’s latest product announcements, software updates and upcoming events. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out at any time by updating your preferences.
- We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss-prevention and anti-fraud purposes.
- We may use your personal information, including your date of birth, to verify your identity, assist with identification of users and determine appropriate services. For example, we may use a date of birth to determine the age of Apple ID account holders.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Apple, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve Apple’s products, services and customer communications.
- If you enter into a sweepstake, contest or similar promotion, we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.